Tuesday 5 April 2011

OMG Acoustic Band Night

Photographs by Dom Cusick
Where to begin on this one!?


Last week I said The Cavern was one of the best gigs I've ever played. This week it was most certainly the best all round night I've had in the band! In fact it'd be in my top 10 nights of all time. It started off without me driving! Instead I just stayed at my house in Stoke and waited for the lads to come to me.

It makes a nice change...
... to be able to drink. I sometimes feel like the wet lettuce when the band and people around us are having a few drinks and I'm just chilling with a lemonade. But not this time! Together we got all the alcohol we could muster up (none of us have any money) which was; a bottle of rum; a bottle of Jack Daniels; half a bottle of Teacher's Whisky; a bottle of Rosé; some beer and a bottle of White Wine. 

I knew it would be one to remember!
Me and the band, plus legendary harmonica player, Guy, all went to the sound check. They weren't ready. So we went to ASDA and bought more pizza than any man could ever wish to consume... In the morning there wasn't a single piece left (except Phil's half eaten, half trodden meat feast next to the sofa!).  


The sound check...
Was actually the first time we've ever played acoustically as a whole band. I start to wonder if we've bitten off more than we can chew as we stumble through the cover of Layla... At least the sound engineer seemed chirpy - and by chirpy, what I actually mean is, I've seen more cheer in a graveyard.  If looks could kill then he would have committed genocide during that soundcheck. What do manners cost anyway? Well I guess it is the recession... 


Nothing like being prepared!
So after the soundcheck we decided to have a practice for the gig! Matt got lumbered with wearing a bright orange vest with the Charity's name on that we were playing for. He loved every second of it. If he could put in a transfer request to Take That, he wouldn't think twice! I ate some pizze, played some songs for the first time and learned some lyrics and then it was time to go to the LRV to play...


I think we got away with it...
Honestly? I think we killed it! Considering people weren't there just to see us, people really seemed to enjoy the gig! Altitude with Guy was a mint opener - I cannot wait to get that track out to people so they can listen guy all day long! The crowd seemed to enjoy Layla and Molly's Hangover (slow acoustic version of Molly's Chamber) the most. I even caught sight of a few people attempting to sing along to our own songs. I think it was the happiest gig we have done together - probably because we were so relaxed and were literally having a jam on stage!


The aftermath.
After the gig most of us went back to my student house. We nearly got started on by two big scally scumbags but all in all spirits were high! And spirits were also what was running through our bodies by the end of the night! Phil strolled in on his own at some point and Ben and Pete came shortly after. We also seemed to gather people along the way including my housemate's (Dom) girlfriend's brother! And his mates! They passed out, Phil was found face down in the garden at one point, and we carried on playing acoustic guitar and singing until the sun started to come up! It was truly magical. 


The morning...
I was awoken by Matt asking permission to make us a cup of tea... Well there are worse ways to wake up! The house smelt very stale though... 11 people in total stayed and it is a house no bigger than a pea. Phil was still rather merry and Pete went before I had a chance to wipe the sleep out of my pink and sore eyes! Ben's enthusiastic playing on the wooden box the night before meant his hands were killing and I woke up with a curious cut on my face - I soon remembered that Phil had given me a loving chew on my face... nice! My favourite quote from the morning, once again, went to Guy who half way through Fleetwood Mac's 'Don't Stop' chorus (yesterday's gone, yesterday's gone) sang in a angelic voice "unfortunately". 


Amazing!
All in all, it was a fantastic road trip for the band and another stamp on the map where the Marivaux have been and left a good impression. For an unprepared, under-rehearsed, first acoustic gig, I had an amazing time and so did everyone along with us! 


This summer is going to be special...

1 comment:

  1. It sounded like an ace night, playing the LRV and the mini after party you guys had! Gutted I didn't see your band xxx

    ReplyDelete